Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sunday Sketches; More of Linwood Gardens

The Gateway


 One nice thing about getting a new computer with mega amounts of memory is that I was able to upload years of photograph memories. Years ago I spent the day with a couple of my artist girlfriends at Linwood Gardens in upstate New York. The old and very lovely estate is open to the public for a reasonable fee to wonder around the gardens and dream about what it must have been like years ago in its hay day. You can go here to read more about Linwood Garden and its history. I took so many pictures that day and have been having fun looking through them choosing different photos to create little (7 x 10") watercolor sketches. I remember at the time when I took this photo I was to scared to try painting this gateway.  There was to many things going on and I wasn't sure where to start. I'm here to confirm the statement that every art teacher tells you... Keep your subject matter simple at first, practice everyday and you'll be surprised that one day you'll look at something you never thought you could paint and you'll know just how to break everything down and painted it.



Have a wonderful day, and never stop painting and taking reference photos along the way ;) 

~ Karen

20 comments:

  1. I love how you can capture from a photo the real feel of the location. This is just wonderful, soft and expressive. I love painting from photo...they don't move around...HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely painting and thanks for the encouraging words ~ Wonderful work!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gateway painting is so beautiful. So much life and imagination there with all the different colors and details. Wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love how loose your watercolors are! I want my watercolors to loosen up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work. I love the story behind. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy smokes ... the photograph is daunting, and I love how you proved you own teachings true! The watercolor is wonderful and really gives a sense of the beauty and peace of the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I also love your loose style here. I need to loosen up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love the texture in this. Lovely work!

    Best wishes,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous place, and your sketch is wonderful! Great story, too. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely sketch ~ and a place I'm sure I'd enjoy visiting. Especially with girlfriends!

    Merry creating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful...like a newly-discovered world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it completely :))
    The style, the colours, everything!
    Just beautiful!

    Have a beautiful week
    Möwe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my my my, this is really beautiful.. it looks so soft and feminine in its style.
    You've given me such an idea.... to get out those old photos...be inspired by them...
    hmmmn.... thinking thinking....
    (Love the colours in your painting too!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely advice, Karen. Your garden painting is beautiful and reflects every ounce of the memory you had of that special place. Hope you're having a wonderful week. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are definately talented in art. How do you share your art talent with your students? http://segmation.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am drawn to portals and all they represent...lovely

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work, Its funny how memory and actual experience can be like lenses tinted with colored by our feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice work, Its funny how reality and memory can be different like lenses colored by our feelings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin