Sunday, June 5, 2011

Quilts,Ouilts and more Quilts

The first Friday of the month in Rochester is Gallery Night. Many galleries are open featuring a wide range of very talented artists; however this month many Rochester galleries are spot-lighting Fiber Art. Many of you know I have been experimenting with textiles and couldn't wait to visit the Booksmart Studio's "Kustler gallery." The Kustler Gallery featured "Parallax" an exhibition of nineteen contemporary art quilters. To say I was excited to see the show would be an understatement. We even left the house without a camera. Thank goodness my husband, Chris had his cell phone.

The good teacher that I am busy taking notes to share with my students. The quilt I'm writing about is "Making her Exit" by Pamela Allen, a wonderful artist from Canada. I had the pleasure of meeting her and artist Marcia DeCamp, who's work is pictured below. Both ladies were a delight. I only wish I had asked my husband to get a picture of us together.

Marcia DeCamp's quilts

LinkSaturday I was off to see my first "Quilt Festival" hosted by the Genesee Valley Quilt Club at Rochester Institute of Technology's, Gordon Field House.
The night before, Pamela and Marcia told me to look for artist, Pat Pauly. Pat is also a fiber artist and was the curator for "Parallax."I have never seen so many quilts and quilters in one place before. I was so lucky to find Pat's booth and introduced myself to her. Pat was very gracious and encouraged me to join "SAQA" Studio Art Quiters Associates. She and Marica DeCamp are involved in our area, and told me of an upcoming event for members. I heard myself say, but I'm just a beginner, and her reply to me was "we all started as beginners."

One of Pat Pauly's quilts.

Marcia DeCamp.

Pink Leaf, by Pat Pauly

Quilts, quilts and more quilts.

The following quilts are part of SAQA exhibit called "No Place To Call Home." A juried exhibit showcasing the diversity of styles, methods, and processes by professional artist members around the world. I'm sorry to say I didn't record all the artist names.






This piece was so cool by Linda Field. She scattered small clippings of fabric around the tree, then overlaid w/tulle, and finished with free motion stitching. It took a first place ribbon.

This quilt reminded me of my students and their love of Bob Marley.

What a wonderful weekend. I saw in creditable art, and met inspiring artists. Maybe I'll get brave and join SAQA. I'm always telling my students to surround themselves with artists that are stronger than they are. It's truly the only way to grow as an artist.

3 comments:

  1. Incredible!! What beautiful quilts. I think you should be brave and join the SAQA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Those from the exhibit No Place To Call Home don't even look like quilts! I think you should join SAQA too, and I love your advice to students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings From Southern California

    I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow back if you want too.

    Have a Nice Day :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin